Kevin has worked as a professional artist for more than 25 years. He works mainly in pastels, a medium he finds very “forgiving” with texture and softness that brings life to the subjects. Kevin also combines watercolour with some of his work to enhance the effects of the pastel and give it even more depth. His unique work is easily recognisable for the use of a very soft colour scheme as well as a touch of romanticism and drama. Kevin’s subjects vary from skyscapes to wildlife, marine and coastal vistas.
Kevin wants to tell a story with his work. His paintings often recall historical events or legends, taken the viewer to a different time and space. Kevin also shows great interest in Marine Art, which receives inspiration from his work as an archivist and researcher at the Naval Historical Society of Australia at Garden Island, Sydney.
Another way for Kevin to act out historical events and dramas is by creating Flat Tin Figurines, a lost folk art form from Germany, which he discovered in 1995.
Kevin’s solid artistic craftsmanship is based on years of study. Kevin attended Seaforth TAFE between 1979 to 1980 studying painting, life drawing, colour and design, photography and art history as well as the School of Creative Arts in 1985, where, besides the usual topics, he also studied graphic design, advertising and drama. He received a Certificate of Fine Arts as well as a Diploma of Creative Arts. He added to his arts education by attending years of private tutoring with famous artists such as Brian Agnew.
His drawing and painting skills were enhanced during his years as a freelance animation assistant with Channel Nine, ABC as well as for Disney Australia. A major influence in Kevin’s artistic development was his time as artist in residence at Henning International Galleries in Balmain between 1990 to 1995, where he participated in 22 exhibitions with other resident artists such as Pro Hart and Ken Duncan. Buyers include the daughter of Russel Drysdale and family as well as the Federal MP Alan Cadman.
Since 1995 Kevin has exhibited in numerous local and state exhibitions.
- Born 1957 in Manly, Sydney
- 1979-1980 Seaforth TAFE, Certificate of Fine Arts
- 1985 School of Creative Arts, Diploma of Fine Arts
- 1990-1995 scholarship for artist residence program Henning International Galleries Exhibitions
- 2009 Group exhibition, Parliment House, Sydney
- 2009 Stations of The Cross Exhibition, Fairlight
- 2008 group exhibition, The Art sanctuary Fairlight
- 2008 Solo exhibition Ramsgate, Sydney
- 2007 group exhibition, The Art Sanctuary Fairlight
- 2007 group exhibition Marine Artist Exhibition, Royal Motor Yacht Club, Sydney
- 2006 group exhibition, The Art Sanctuary Fairlight
- 2006 group exhibition, Dale Thomas Gallery Artarmon
- 2005 group exhibition, The Art Sanctuary Fairlight
- 2004 Oberon Art Prize, St Oberon
- 2000 The Great Southland Art Prize, Christian City Church, Oxford Falls
- 1998 Australian Arts and Craft Show, Homebush
- 1990-1995 22 group exhibitions with Henning International Galleries, Balmain